Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES)
To excel as knowledge and technology enterprise in the earth system science realm towards socio-economic benefit of the society
It is the Nodal Ministry for organizing, coordinating and promoting scientific and technical activities related to Earth System Science for improving forecasting of weather, monsoon, climate and hazards, exploration of polar regions, seas around India and develop technology for exploration and exploitation of ocean resources (living and non-living), ensuring their sustainable utilization.
The Ministry of Earth Sciences was established in the year 2006 by bringing all the agencies of meteorological and ocean developmental activities under one umbrella. The sole purpose of the endeavour is to address holistically various aspects relating to earth system processes for improving forecast of the weather, climate and various natural geo-hazards. The ministry inter alia is responsible for development of technology towards the exploration and exploitation of marine resources in a sustainable way for the socio-economic benefits of the society. The mission of the Ministry is to provide services for weather, natural hazards, climate, ocean and coastal state, seismology, and exploring marine living and non-living resources and the polar regions.
Major functions include:
- Augment and sustain long term observations of atmosphere, ocean, cryosphere and solid earth to record the vital signs of Earth System and changes
- Develop forecasting capability of atmosphere and oceanic phenomena through dynamical models and assimilation techniques and to build prediction system for weather climate and hazards
- Understand interaction between components of Earth Systems and human systems at various spatial and temporal scales
- Explore polar and high seas regions for discovery of new phenomenon and resources
- Translate knowledge and insight themes gained into services for societal, environmental and economic